Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers


"
My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it anything like right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours… it is precisely through these stories in all their particularity, as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us more powerfully and personally. If this is true, it means that to lose track of our stories is to be profoundly impoverished not only humanly but also spiritually."

-Frederick Buechner (Telling Secrets)

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Teaching Tolerance

Whether McSexy and I are able to conceive naturally or not, we eventually hope to adopt internationally. I have always felt strongly called to adoption (since 4th grade, God has put adoption STRONGLY on my heart), as has my husband. We would love to adopt through my cousin Julie's adoption agency All God's Children International. Julie coordinates adoption with Ethiopia, and we would hope to adopt from there. As it is so important for self-esteem for children to see themselves or those that look like them reflected in art, I have been looking off and on for Black children's art. I also would like nursery decor for ALL of our children to reflect diversity. I found this website (Keisha's Kids) in Oprah's magazine, and fell in love. Here are some of the must haves for our nursery:


Keisha's Kids has cute wall art in retro style. Perfect to go along with Dick and Jane bedding if we go with that!

Tick tick tick! All girls love ballerinas and pink!

LOVE this rug! My daddy was a fireman, so I always have a soft spot for big, red engines in kid's rooms! Plus, the Dalmation driving the truck is TOO cute.

The site also has adorable growth charts. I am hoping that their selection grows even further with bedding, pillows (you know me and fabric!) and other accessories. Integrating multi-cultural images into your home, as well as talking openly and candidly with you child about race, is even more important when you consider this article from Newsweek. I found it through Teaching Tolerance, a group that discusses ways to promote and support diversity in the classroom. This article is worth a read for parents, teachers, grandparents or anyone who has a relationship with young children.

If anyone finds other retailers with multicultural, kid-friendly art, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin