So, we have another month of trying ahead of us. I am sad, but also okay with this. Jason is sadder than I am, I think, because he is getting to the point where he REALLY WANTS KIDS SUPER BAD AND HE IS OBSESSED WITH BABIES AND CONSTANTLY TALKS ABOUT THEM. It makes me sad that he doesn't have a baby on the way, but I am looking at this BIG FAT FAIL in a positive light. Here is why it is good not to be pregnant:
1. I have more time to get fitter and healthier by sticking to my intense exercise routine and eating clean. My acupuncturist doesn't want me doing strenuous exercise between ovulation and AF or BFP and especially no abdominal work. So now I have another 21 days or so to hit the gym. Plus, when I do get pregnant, I know that all veggies and healthy foods will go out the window if the next babe is anything like Wild Thing (who liked nothing but chocolate cake, mangoes, white toast and plain pasta). Extra veggies, yogurt, fish, etc. = healthier mama.

2. I can drink. I must admit that after a year of trying to get pregnant, I am no longer laying off the al-chey-hol. Al-chey-hol is one of my good friends, and I enjoy tossing back a margarita or some sangria when we go out to dinner, ESPECIALLY in the summer. I tried to mostly avoid it up until this point, but that is over. I plan on drinking now and again these next two+ weeks, actually up until I get that positive, and I plan on enjoying it! (You KNOW you want to swim in that vase of sangria. Don't lie.)
3. We can wake up when we want, take naps when we want, go to bed when we want. We like not having a baby because we value our sleep. The longer we don't have a baby, the longer we can enjoy lots 'o sleep!
4. I get to enjoy camping, hiking, swimming (oh, the smell of chlorine), tanning, bbq-ing, long walks, etc. this summer. I am a sunshine girl. I am obsessed with the sun and the heat and I LOVE SUMMER. If I was in my first trimester (if the next pregnancy is anything like the first) I would miss my favorite season. Along the same lines, this summer is super busy for me. I am working full-time, planning a monstrosity of a baby shower, trying to squeeze in a ton of professional development reading, have my friend Karen's wedding/wedding-related events, and am taking quite a few mini-vacays. All-day sickness (because we know it is not just morning, ladies) is not conducive to my lifestyle.
5. It buys McSexy and I more time to enjoy adult seating. Everytime we breeze past a 20 minute table wait right into the bar, I am thankful, and every time I remark to McSexy, "We wouldn't be able to do this if we had a baby!" I will enjoy the immediate gratification (because we all know that I am not patient or nice person when deprived of food) and happy hour menu for as long as I can!
Of course, I would trade this all for a healthy pregnancy and baby, but in the meantime, I am going to live purposefully and joyfully in THIS season, knowing that some time in the future, I'm going to miss this!
What are things you are enjoying as a childless person? For parents, what do you miss most about your pre-parent days?



I am sorry that you're not pregnant, because I know how deeply you want to be. But I absolutely LOVED your last sentence: I am going to live purposefully and joyfully in this season! Amen! I also pray that as you continue to cleanse your body physically, that you also feel a sense of renewing emotionally as well. Take care!
ReplyDeleteI miss sleep.
ReplyDeleteThe rest of it you forget about, or take the kids with you and pack diapers!
But sleep? That, you never forget about and never get back. Enjoy the sleep.
I'm sorry you aren't pregneant yet, but I am inspired by your drive to live purposefully and joyfully while you wait! I think that you have an amazing attitude :) I totally left off what I was going to grad school for so I went back and fixed it on the original post, but so you don't have to go back and re-read it...I am going to grad school for Counseling Psychology. I want to be Child Life Specialist one day :). I hope your week is going well and, yes I want to swim in the giant vase of sangria! xOXO
ReplyDeleteYour marriage changes- good, bad, wherever you let it go. Celebrate the spark you guys have this summer. With babies it takes some work to light that spark :)
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear you're not pregnant as you hoped... Like the others, I dig your "live purposefully" sentiments. In the months after I lost my pregnancy, I was downhill skiing a lot, which definitely helped my mood because I thought, "oh! If I was preggers I would not get to have this much fun skiing!" And then, the snow melted & skiing ended, I didn't have a job past, well, today, and I wasn't getting pregnant and things were really, really tough emotionally. It's better now, only because I have a job offer for next winter/spring -- so at least I have something to look forward to if I still don't get pregnant in the next few months! So, I think, keep finding things that make you happy that aren't pregnancy/baby-related to ease your mind! And, if that big vase of sangria doesn't do it, I don't know what will... Seriously. Looks delish. Am drooling on my keyboard. Is 8:30am too early to start?
ReplyDeleteI love that you are finding so many positives in all of this! Truthfully I didn't want to read the second half of your post because I was getting bummed/jealous (?) that I have to forego most of these wonderful things!
ReplyDeleteTake advantage of this time now and I'm sure you will. I know you would rather be pregnant than enjoy all of these great things but it WILL happen for you. When you have a baby and look back it will seem like, to some extent, you did not have time to do all of these things you are describing - no matter how much time you really had to do them!
Positive thoughts and prayers are being sent your way. Big time. Enjoy this season!
I lost my babe a month ago, and since then we (okay, my husband) decided that we would "have a summer." This means doing all the stuff we would otherwise miss out on, just like you're doing: hiking, camping, a week in the mountains, mtn. biking, happy houring, drive-in movie watching, weekend getaways... all that good stuff. Otherwise we'd drive ourselves crazy wondering when to start trying again. This gives us a bit of breathing room.
ReplyDeleteHello sangria!
~Anon in CO
I hope and pray you get pregnant again soon. We went through 3 years of infertility before having our first daughter, suffered a miscarriage with a second pregnancy, and then had another daughter two 1/2 years later. I love your positive outlook and hope you are enjoying your summer! Yay for al-chey-hol!!!
ReplyDelete