Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers


"
My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it anything like right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours… it is precisely through these stories in all their particularity, as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us more powerfully and personally. If this is true, it means that to lose track of our stories is to be profoundly impoverished not only humanly but also spiritually."

-Frederick Buechner (Telling Secrets)

Monday, November 22, 2010

Giving Thanks

From the worst blogger on the planet. I suck at life. This is why.


Well, school has been busy (with 14 boys, ya know!). Pregnancy has been brutal (finally felt better two weeks ago at 21 weeks!). We have been especially busy preparing for Noah, and have some new updates (which I am trying to view positively - see below!), but I thought I would take the time to participate in the 25 Things I Am Thankful For list that is so popular. Technically you are supposed to list one per day for the whole month of November until Thanksgiving, but I am a slacker. So here goes.

1. I am thankful for my McSexy, who gave me this cute little baby boy and without whom, I never would have survived this pregnancy (or the last one). Or at least I would not have eaten, showered, cleaned house, walked the dogs, etc. for the last five plus months. He is a saint. Say-aint. Saint.

2. I am thankful for my cute little Noah who looks just like daddy. I am thankful that he is finally tolerating vegetables, kicks me regularly every night and that he has continued to grow and fight. Thank you, Baby.

3. I am thankful for the medical advances that caught my complete placenta previa BEFORE labor (which would not have been good, no no). Even though my condition has actually worsened, I am thankful that we have c-sections to get my little man out safely, thankful for specialists that know how to recognize and treat my complications, thankful for the NICU where Noah will likely spend his first few weeks. Without modern medicine, Noah and I would both be dead by March. So, I am thankful.

4. Even though no one wants a preemie and I am hoping he stays in until 34 weeks (when they drag his poor, unprepared body out, waaaaaa), I am thankful that I at least get to meet Noah earlier than expected. Would I prefer he stay in there to term? Yes. But trying to find the positive, people!

5. I am thankful for amazing insurance that has covered and will cover all of our medical expenses. I pray for those that face health complications with poor or no insurance. You can see how it can absolutely destroy people.

6. I am thankful for my job, which has been nothing but accommodating, flexible, understanding and comfortable with ambiguity throughout my whole pregnancy. I am lucky to work in a school that believes so strongly in children and families that they actually adhere to their convictions in their employment policies, regardless of what it means for them financially or otherwise. I am thankful to work in a place of integrity.

7. I am thankful for my munchkins and parents, who are so supportive each and every day. My kiddos LOVE Noah (write him love notes, sing to him, read to him, fiercely protect him) and my parents rush to help me out in any way they can. I am thankful to be part of such a wonderful community. And my kids are hilarious. Seriously. What kids think about how my pregnant belly is going to get so big that it curls around itself? And ponder how will I be able to run with a curly belly. Seriously.

8. I am thankful for my friends and family who are already planning (or changing their plans!) to help me out during my impending bed rest at 27 weeks! We have been offered meals, house cleaning, visits, books, etc. It makes things less overwhelming knowing we have so much help if we need it!

9. I am thankful that MS and I both have good, stable jobs, especially in this time of unemployment and financial upheaval. Thank you, GOD!

10. I am thankful for a warm house and good food. So many do not have either of these things, and I think we take them for granted much of the time. I do anyway. Especially now that it is snowing outside and I am particularly hungry (ALL. THE. TIME), I am thankful for shelter and meals.

11. I am thankful for my education that has allowed me to be in a career that I think will make me that much better of a mother. My degrees are in little people. It has to help, right?

12. I am thankful to have a husband that has a similar parenting philosophy as I. I am thankful that he is interested in birth, and attachment, and breastfeeding and freely reads these books to be better prepared for our baby. I am glad that he will be there to advocate for Noah and what we feel is right even if I am slightly incapacitated at first. Noah, you are a lucky little man!

13. I am thankful for my puppies, who are angels and precious and the biggest cuddle bugs in the whole wide world. Thank you, God, for sending me these particular dogs, who are a perfect fit for Jason and I and who we love so deeply. They make our lives more entertaining and lovely each and every day. Wuv my widdle doggies.

14. And my ratty girl. Who is highly entertaining and eternally patient as her life is threatened daily by 20 kinders. Best. Rat. Ever.

OMG, HOW MANY MORE????? Snap.
Ok, we are going to get quick and random and trivial.

15. Thankful for Eggnog Lattes. Yes I am. And the money to buy them.

16. Thankful for snow. And snow-days, which I know we are going to have tomorrow. RIGHT? RIGHT? For all that is holy, please! Teachers everywhere are on their knees BEGGING!

17. Ugg boots. And for places in New Jersey that clean your brand-new, muddy Ugg boots when a certain Malamute puppy jumps on them. I love you, place in New Jersey.

18. Pumpkin candles.

19. My church, which inspires me with its commitment to community, Biblical scholarship, service, the environment and social justice. Gooooooo MOTA! Sorry you are 19th, meant for you to be earlier but I forgot. Lame.

20. Books. Teaching books, birthing/breastfeeding books, novels. Excellent children's books that inspire my kids to read over and over and over. I'll also throw libraries in there. Teachers would die without libraries. And inter-library loan. And holds. I love me some books.

21. Hiking, camping, swimming, etc. And for living in Oregon, where it is the best place to do these things.

22. Cloth diapers. Best thing to happen to the environment since organic. And I am so thrilled that they are so freaking cute and just as easy to do as 'sposies. Makes me not so guilty of a momma.

23. Hulu.

24. The holidays and holiday breaks. Perk of being in the lowest paid profession that requires a Master degree. So don't be messin' with our breaks. You can't afford what we are truly worth!

25. Am I done? My 25th is - I am thankful this list is done. I like being grateful and all, but my ribs hurt. And my kids are putting on the play-from-hell tomorrow complete with sewn costumes and masks, yet they can't seem to face the audience nor stop themselves from running into each other. Wish us luck.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the complications! I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list! I'm so happy for you, Jason and Noah. I thought I was wrapped around Maddie's finger, but you should see a Mom and her son- a momma's boy already :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, praying that Noah stays in there as long as possible! It's a lot better knowing in advance that you'll have a c-section, rather than going through labor AND c/s! If I can recommend one thing, make sure that they give you a belly binder (find out in advance if they do, if not, order one online). It makes c-section recovery sooooo much better. :) So excited for you guys and that glad that your placenta previa was caught early. We have a couple friends whose little boy was born at 35 weeks (she was on bedrest due to pre-term labor), and he only needed a little bit of time in the NICU, and is doing awesome. Take care of yourself and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy! Message me if you have questions about cloth diapering or c-sections, that's about the only thing I have any experience with! -Devon Edwards

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin