As a teacher, I am pretty much obsessed with literacy and books!
I always tell everyone who asks that the MOST important thing you can do for their child is read to him or her all day, every day. I'm not talking about restraining your child in a chair with picture books for hours on end, but instead making the most of authentic opportunities to talk to your child about print, how words are used to convey meaning, and the various ways people use print to communicate with one another.

Discuss signs, notes or cards, cookbooks, grocery lists, and even your blog (or texting!) with your child. Show them that writing and reading is something that is useful and fun all throughout your day. Talk about print as you read it or write it - "Oh! Since I am starting a new word in my card to Grandma, I am going to make sure to leave a space between the word I just wrote and my new word to make it easier for Grandma to read! This is what real writers do, and you can do it, too, in your own writing! Just like me!" "Since there is a question mark at the end of this sentence, I know that Daddy is asking a question in his note, and I should make my voice sound like this when I read it!"

Of course, there is nothing more special than the tried-and-true before bedtime reading session. My dad read to my sister and I every single night, and it was not only bonding time with my family, but also instilled in my sister and I the love and value of reading. My mom swears it is how come we are so smart and well-adjusted (ahem!) and actually research supports her claims. Reading aloud to your child is THE single most important thing a parent can do to ensure that your child becomes a successful reader.
I can go on and on about literacy and probably will have several more posts on the topic over the course of my lifetime, but for now, I leave you with a few resources. While perusing the NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children) website, I came across this article from the American Academy of Pediatrics. It lists some good guidelines for selecting books for your children depending on their age, and encourages parents to be purposeful in their selection of literature. For you medical folk out there, there are also some neat links on how pediatricians can support literacy and even some pre-designed handouts to give to patients' parents.
Secondly, there is this book called the Read Aloud Handbook my mom gives EVERY mom-to-be. She says it is the mother of all books, and will literally save your life as a parent. It gives you a list of the best books, as well as ways to encourage reluctant readers. It is a must own!
Now, do as I say and your child will never make a poor choice or disappoint you. HA!



Reading is huge in my house. When the boys were babies and not yet sleeping through the night, I would read to them from whatever book I was reading at the time while I nursed. The quickest way to calm them down at night when their sick or upset is still to just start reading something. Books are good.
ReplyDeleteMy dad read to my brothers and I every night, all the way up until my youngest brother graduated from high school. You're right--it does allow for bonding and smart kids. I'm sure you're wonderful with your students, and will be with your own kids as well.
ReplyDeleteWe are obsessed with reading at my house...
ReplyDeleteAt least four books are read in the evening before we go to sleep. The kids would much rather being doing that then anything else... let's us have cuddle time on the couch :)
Just found your blog. While I'm not a mother, I'm so so glad there are teachers like you out there influencing our youth!! So critical. And being able to enjoy reading and writing - there's nothing like it.
ReplyDeleteOh sweet lady I am dying over here with your Christmas list... that is SPECTACULAR!!!! I am taking many a-note from you my friend!!
ReplyDelete